Sunday, June 7, 2009

Girls State!!

Girls State was AMAZING! I had such a great experience!! Just for a little info for those who don't know much about Girls State, 300-400 girls go down to the SUU campus and basically set up a mock government in a week. We elected city officials, county officials, and state officials. They also focus on other things, for example, patriotism; peronally, that was my favorite. We learned a lot about the flag and respect for it. They also emphasized our country and those who were fighting for it. The story that probably impacted me the most, was learning where TAPS orgianted from and how it came about. For any of you who don't know how it came about, I STRONGLY encourage you to research it-that's the great thing about google ;)

This is my roommate. Her name is Kenzi Fuller
In this meeting, we commemorated the memory of the four chaplins
The girl in the middle who is getting her hair done, is Melinda. She had only curled her hair as a little girl when her mom did it, and had never curled her hair by herself....so we had to ambush her and get a bunch of girls to sit on her until she cooperated into letting us curl her hair. She looked so cute

As you can tell, my councelor (the one with the big eyes) had just seen her when I took the pic
Here are just some flowers I had seen while walking to the dorms. They were very bright yellow.
One of the girls, named, Markie, drew this picture of me. Close to the end of the week and had some fun appointing people to postitions. I was appointed model. I was told because of my eye lashes. A lot of the girls said that I also kind of look like Anne Hathoway. I had seen her draw animae all through the week, and asked her to draw me and this was the result.
I took this picture at the bancuete. Sierra is on the left and the girl on the right is Merin.

Sorry, I had to take a picture. I had never seen real butter balls before haha
Two more of the girls...(left to right) Destiny and Ashley. Ashley gave me the best back massage!!
Here's a few girls in their dresses (we had to wear dresses the entire week). Left to right Carlie, Jessica, JoAnna, Markie, Destiny, Heather, Katie, Emily, and Alyssa. I loved all of the girls in my city (we were in Huntsman city; there were twelve cities that were all named after governors of Utah.)
This is Crystal, she was pretty funny.
This is Jessica Cairo. She was honestly one of my favorites!! She is a member of the ROTC at her high school. In fact, she is the commander. She's japanese. She's so cute!! (good luck with your horses, Jessica)
This is Heather Moon. She lives in Duchesne. She is five foot nothin. Such a cute, yet short girl.
Left to right: Merin Daliva, Jessica Cairo, and me.
As you can see, Jessica is in her uniform.

Left to right: Girls State director-Carol Riddle aka "sarge", Hannah, Megan, I can't remeber the girl in the black, and the governor Camille Robb. Hearther Moon again, she was hilarious. She and Alyssa ratted their hair for Thursday night when the cities presented their city song that they made up. We had a good time with making up our song.

This is Katie, she also went with the crazy hair style. She put a ton of gel in her hair, but it wouldn't stay up, so she put a fork in it to help it stay haha front view
They have programs and meetings throughout the whole day. This was a presentation of the evolution of flag.
Alyssa, Heather, and Emily. Alyssa was so crazy and she could bark exactly like a small dog. It was so funny. And Emily and I had a great time telling guy stories.
This is Anna and Ashley. I have never seen a girl eat quite like Anna. She was ALWAYS eating something.
Sierra and Alyssa
This is our entire city. There were 28 girls and our one councelor-that is sprawled across the floor in front of everyone. left to right bottom to top
Our concelor Krista Peterson
second row: Katie, Kember, Jessica, Merin, Emily, and Kenzi
third row: Karina, Ashley, Mekenna, Crystal, me and Amber
forth row: Stephanie
fifth row: JoAnna, Tamee, and Alyssa
sixth row: Melinda, Markie, Heather, Carlie, Caitlyn, and Destiny
seventh row: Tiffany, Whitney, Sophie, Sierra, Caitlyn, and Anna
I am proud to say that I know everyone's name in my city. By the end of the week, we were all very close.
Here is another picture of my roommate. She lives in Nibly
This is JoAnna Moser. I loved her! She is actually cousins with Scott Anderson who lives in Vernal. She was so nice to me! She has the cutest personality ever! Thanks for the great times JoAnna!! (As you can see, she is also very short, and only about five foot)
This was taken at our social dinner on Wednesday, it was a casual night, and it was such a relief to finally be in pants and a t-shirt.
bottom: Melinda, Carlie, me, and Jessica is on the topHere is just another picture of us at the bancuete. The cities were divided up into colors and we managed to get hot pink :) Our councelor was awesome and she made us all pink hair bows and wrist bands. She even took the time to make us pillow cases! Thanks Krista!!

As you can tell...I had a phenomenal time!!

1 comment:

Nick Scott Family said...

What is all this talk about five foot nothing and being short....I'm offended!!!!!

Looks like you had a GREAT time! I'm glad you went :) YEAH!